Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Watching the box

Watching the box 6th Jan 2009

This is a tangled web. I cannot find work and with no money I am living on the edge. But I speak with some language, learnt from an old man and his wife. But I have no one to talk to and this language I have learnt is good for nothing.
I am sick of the conversations I have with myself.
We always talk about the same things.
Sometimes I talk to the crows, when I talk to the crows and the willy wagtail I wonder if they can understand me, because there ain't a Noongar in sight I can speak to.

Ngientj nidja keny-nyininy - windji noonagat - boolaarang baalap dwonkbert - woort koorliny, english mai waangkiny!!

What, for why, why, how could you let a language die.
You say the old people didn't want to reveal it - bullshit - nah, no one wanted to listen - that's the truth, no one was prepared to sit around the old kids fire to rest their head within their night-time mia - nahh - couldn't be bothered, nahh don't shit me with your lies...about how the old ones didn't want to reveal it before they died.
When I was shifting gas bottles and collecting wood, where were you?
When I was scraping salt and being torn to shreds where were you?
When I was eating flaps on the fire - where were you?
Yuaart! No you were somewhere inside watching the box.

How could you let a language die?? A disregard for the birds that are singing, a disinterest in all their wisdom bringing.

How could you let it go?

5 comments:

seedling said...

you could talk to me. I dont have anyone to talk to either.
And I think my blog will die.

seedling said...

and Im not deaf :)

seedling said...

yes it was with a bit of amusement that I realised I had come the end of barenest with that last post. Moodjar, where the old fullas cast off their skin and became white, before going to koranup.

I knew it was a sign as soon as I came back from over east, all things change, all things die, but like birak sometimes without fire there isnt any new growth.

So you know, its not all bad to finish up the blog and move on to the things that are important to me.

New growth :)

seedling said...

oh I may yet start another blog, but if I do it will be more like a record of what Im doing at uni.I dont think it would be that interesting for people who followed barenest, well maybe I dunno.

But I'll see how I go after my summer unit.

How are you going on the job front? any luck?

McCabeandco said...

Kaya mummabare, naardja kaadidjiny > what are you thinking?! Ngany, ngientj bus driver bidiyaa - aawoon! Yep, learning to drive a bus, hopefully this is where I will find some meaningful employment doing my bit for less drivers on the road, less greenhouse gases in the air etc etc... All the best in your studies, and thanks for all your comments, and, I love the words you share in the Noongar tongue!!