Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kings Park, Kaara Kaata: Stories of the Hill

Kings Park, Kaara Kaata: Stories of the Hill

The sign at the brow of the hill says “Morditch yongka barminy.”
“Good kangaroo hunting” reads the translation, but the words mean hard or strong kangaroo hitting?
So could good hunting, be equated with hard hitting?

Maybe it was the chase, call it a hunter’s craft. But I wonder, with words to redefine: “Kwoppiny yongka ngaadanginy,” also means “good kangaroo hunting,” and how might the hunting be good?

Perhaps it was successful or a place that fed groups on masse, but one wonders further, how might it be good hunting on such a steep incline? Moorditch maybe, hard for hitting, and for chasing the careering yongka grey kangaroo baadanginy jumping; that gray flash bark coloured coated being, hard to hit with the spear between the scrub and stone.

And I wonder, and I am not alone, what of kangaroo pads and pit traps beneath the Jarrah and Tuart shades? Wouldn’t pit traps have presented less a risk in their breaking of an ankle or wounds from a deflecting spear?

Then further, I wonder, perhaps this scene of cliff slope hunting was seen before by European eyes upon the cavern wall, through the tales of Europe’s neo-lithic buffalo hunter driving herds over cliffs. And the stories and inferences of those awaiting below, to feast and feed from the thundering hooves were another’s tale of another place, not of Kaara Kaata. Perhaps to the European mind, this was an image too enticing, too inviting a story to ignore.

For from the veranda of this viewing platform, this expanding view beyond the brow from this ancient weather worn hill speaks of stories that remain. For all matter of stories took place here, right where each one stands, where hordes of tourists now wander, here the Noongar stood watching, looking beyond. Together with his wilgied woman and koolang children, they walked to and from their camp, walked in their millennia of their coming and going.

Right here where you stand they stood watching, searching for signs that were watched for by their gathered tribesmen, Noongar that have lived here for thousands upon thousands of years. Here too the Noongar had once read the signs looking far beyond to their distant blue ranges, beyond the blue river, and below or, set against the blue sky they searched above their heads for the waalitj ‘the eagle’ and waardong 'the crow,' and sought word and the sign in a foreigner’s smoke or, for that of their kin.

Here great flocks of visitors continue to pay homage to this hill, and what the Noongar saw, and those from afar are still watching the signs in the seasonal sighting of the ngoolyarrk, the white-tailed black cockatoo and the yearly gathering of old soldiers and tourists who in their thousands from the world they come, to read the empty spaces and the signs beyond.

For most, their focus is a momentarily thing, they carry cameras aimed at things that sparkle, smiling shining teeth of friends, of flowers kangaroo paws and strange feathered birds, but if one persists in their watching, other signs may appear to them. For here from the brow of this hill named Karra Kaata, a name that means something returned to (some say it is a spider or the red-tailed black cockatoo kaarak), like these gatherings of cockatoo, if one watches from this Kaata – this hill, this head that has eyes, one might see that this head looks east to another, to the Kaata Moorr, to the blue hills Darling Range beyond.
And yarragat ‘above,’ and between them both, between these hills beyond and surrounding them lays the blue sky ‘worl.’ And between them, if you look between them both, ngaadaa-ngat beneath and below lie the blue waters of the beerla djoorr where the rivers flow.

Between both Kaata, between both heads and hills are eyes that watch the waters flow. Here maali and bootalang bathe, both swans and pelican preen and gather. You can watch them for hours, drifting past the Maata garup, knee-deep over their shawls of the derbal yerrigan darpal yaarragat past the sharpened shell blades that lie awaiting and aiming in the shallows. For beware, for deeper is their wounding than the stinging cobbler brings – so be aware of where you tread.

And in the limestone caverns embedded in the hill, within Karra Kaatta near Goonininup the Waargal lays asleep, coiled deep within her subterrainean hollows, she waits to see her people gather and in their language speak. And at Kedalak, at twilight, when trees turn from green to gold and day turns to night, and when the sun gives way to the moon, down below at Spring Street, at Kooyamoolup, there you can hear the chorus of the frogs. But for the song of frogs no signs here stands, no signs identify.

Here another sign needs to be written, but one that never has, of this hill this Kaata kaadidjiny ‘ hill listening’, and Kaata djinaanginy ‘hill looking, hill watching’, in respect of the many millennia of the hill’s watching and waiting for those who might return, to stand in silence, to watch and ponder with eyes all seeing, all hearing from this hill, this ancient hill, this kaat, this head with eyes and ears.

23 comments:

Free Thinker said...

You a deep man.

Do you think that maybe the language is mixed up and we are for want of a better word, 'bastardizing' our language? I mean there are not a lot of true speaker left. Most of them have died off and sometimes I get the feeling the rest are putting bits together to reclaim the culture.

I don't have a problem with this except I would like to learn the real language and sometimes I think 'where do I go to do that?' You know"

It's almost like I'm not sure who to trust because I know there personal history and where they come from and where they been.

You where privileged to learn from someone so fluent in the language.

Free Thinker said...

And when you read this you can see how moved I got because I left letters off my words when I typed.

Sorry....lol

McCabeandco said...

free thinker, yep, you ask some serious questions. 'Bastardizing our language' is one way of putting it, and 'movement towards reclaiming what is lost' is another. What we are seeing, I think, is the struggle by moort to break through the difficulties and over come the hurdles in making their language come alive. Sure there are not that many speakers remaining, not in the truest sense, speakers, singers and ones with an intimate knowledge of country and its pads... but there is a great will and want to understand and relearn what remains. You know that your moort will always speak up for their language, for they know, you all know, that your language contains a lot to do with your identity. Although that said, I was told, I have been told by some... that their language is of no consequence to them in their identity of being a Noongar. For some, I know that their shared experiences of intolerance, institutions, segregation, racism form a basis to what they understand their identity to mean. For my old teacher, he witnessed this, but was shielded from the more excessive forms/experiences of racism that afflicted so many others. He worked and lived among people whose first language was Noongar-mai. In his language and song, he felt great about himself, and great about the land in which he lived. There was a relationship. Through his language he was able to communicate with both his people, and his land. He was able to read its signs. If people want to, they can relearn the language of their moort, but it takes time and patience. It is a struggle, and some forms of bastardization will no doubt be a part of that struggle. I try to speak and maintain my knowledge of Noongar language specific to the Noongar east, to the country I was shown. I am aware of the historical collections by Bates and Grey/Moore but I try (and succeed) not to mix them.

Free Thinker said...

I like your view better. I think reclaiming language is a good thing, but I am not sure that reclaiming and then staking that claim to the point where you don't know how to share it, is not the nyoongar way. I am nyoongar and I don't have a problem with my identity, but I do have a problem with the exclusivity that some people who have learnt to speak language are taking.

Have they forgotten how to be nyoongar in their quest for the almighty dollar? Are they selling their own culture for money? Is that the right thing to do? I know lots of nyoongars who say 'other people make money off our culture so why shouldn't we?'

How come people are so caught up in money, you know there are way more important things in life.

Nyoongars sometimes confuse me!

Free Thinker said...

I feel a bit naive because I honestly expect the world to be a better place. I expect people to be honest and trustworthy and when they aren't I get so disappointed.

Why don't people think like me? Honesty, integrity, loyalty.... that's not so much to as is it?

McCabeandco said...

Yep, I hear you! For me, I want in, but have found few roads that lead there. So I beg for a dollar to aid my work, but few will part with it. I have been hit with the section 50 D of the equal opportunity thing... but you know, I haven't claimed a Noongar identity, but maybe I should. I have a Noongar family, who trust me, who share with me... but their blood I cannot claim... noonaar ngorp - ngientj ngorp-bert... But who said being a Noongar was about having the blood...?? I want in, even if I have to stand in the shadows, nolak-abin... or moort woolagat nyininy... I don't care, as long as I get the work I initiated completed or else it risks remaining half done or undone. I want it shared and so do the family, but they need to have a say and some recognition... They were reserve Noongar, couldn't get citizenship "rights" because they didn't want to be seperated from their people, and besides they were probably too dark, too "native" in their outlook. But there are others who did get an education, did get that early leg-up and who now know how to work the system. Some claim to be traditionals like the reserve Noongar, and this is causing some friction. I don't know the answer to what you're asking, only that for my moort, people who have never owned a house of their own... no amount of apology from the government or Noongar Land Rights acheived in the courts has brought them, or will bring them anything that will benefit them. But their language and what their mother and father left behind, they know, as we know, means more than apologies and promises... They want their parents recognised and the ones who know how to work the system, they want them to work it in a way that is shared and equitable rather than something which serves only the gifted few. I am an optimist, I believe people such as yourself who ask the kind of questions you are asking have a significant role and invested right in helping us move forward. Perhaps when we have gone some distance and published some of what we have recorded, perhaps its availability will no longer be the right of the few but the right and opportunity for the many... I could talk all day, and all night, and I wish I could find some space, some place in Noongar lands near a fire and smoke... with bigaadaa daartj beedel dookeniny... some place to talk and sing and talk... and talk...all night long...

McCabeandco said...

Honesty, integrity, loyalty.... yes please, these things are not what we should simply wish for but things we should demand!!!

Fiona Scull said...

Tim. Please email me. fionascull@gmail.com
Its so great to hear your fire and read your committiment.

SerotoninRonin said...

Great post and I've really enjoyed your blog... the small amount I can garner from your full Noongar posts makes me yearn for more knowledge... knowledge to pass down to my daughter. Scouring the web for Noongar grammar and dictionaries is a bit depressing at times.

McCabeandco said...

Jason, thanks for visiting my blog, and best of luck in seeking Noongar knowledge for your daughter. I am hoping that funds will soon be provided to allow me and my Noongar family to publish some of our waarngk... Hopefully it won't be too late for you and your daughter. All the best, and, I hope you start a blog soon too! Cheers

SerotoninRonin said...

not sure if you're aware but my family are using this website to collate information, photographs and stories

http://www.noongarculture.org.au/

McCabeandco said...

Jason, Have you been able to find out much? I cannot get access because I am not a Noongar... apparently ngientj Mars ngorpang... So, what family and boodjaa are we talking about? All the best to you!

SerotoninRonin said...

Hey Tim,

My family are from Yued Noongar boodjara... Dandaragan to be precise, the Worralls are my grandmother's family. My cousin is the database administrator and is trying to develop a site for interested wadjelas as well. As for information we've been collating photographs from as far back as the 1920's from our own family and trying to piece together other bits of family history regarding lineage etc.

I'd be interested in speaking to you more about Noongar language.. perhaps email would be easier?

you can contact me via doctorking@amnet.net.au

cheers

Jason

Fiona Scull said...

How did I go so long, not reading all your words. You are a strong story giver and a wizard of words between worlds. Hope all is well - havent heard from you in a while. Much love.

ciaranl said...

Hi Tim, I'm making my way through your blogs. I'm interested in Noongar language at the moment because I'm trying to write about the years when I lived in Albany and the influence a Noongar brother and sister had on me back then. 1960's, 70's.. I've read a few Noongar publications and am a big fan of Kim Scott. I live in Dublin, Ireland now, so a long way from Western Australia. I have many, but one particularly pressing question. Is there a Noongar word for 'Lucky'? I ask because I want to use the word in a story I'm writing.

Best wishes, Ciaran

McCabeandco said...

Lucky... I don't know of a word for lucky, but I guess you could say kwop... Any thing good is kwop, or kwoppaa... I don't know what they would say... If you missed getting washed off a rock into the sea...or run in by your worst enemy...mmm...aalidja kwop - that's good... Hey, you could email Kim Scott...that man is lucky! He might have a word for you! :) Best of luck...ee

ciaranl said...

Thanks Tim, 'That's good, aalidja kwop, will do. He nearly drowned bu didn't. Aalidja kwop!

Cheers, Ciaran

McCabeandco said...

Hi Ciaran, thanks for visiting my blog, and I hope you get something from it. I am intersted to know what years you lived in Albany. I went to school at St Josephs in 1969, and 1970. I was afriend of the Camerons and Hunters... I lived atop Mt Melville and that hill was my playground. Maybe we met, and follwed each other's footprints on Middleton Beach?! All the best to you Ciaran. I hope that Celtic tiger gets some of its teeth again some time soon...

ciaranl said...

I was there '66 to '77. Went to St Joseph's from '68. Made to 2nd year high at CBC. My sister, Aileen, married Greg Hunter. My older sister was in Jenny's class.
I was in the same year as Murray Cameron. We surfed the little waves at Middleton Beach on coolites from the surfclub. My Noongar blood brother was Harold Millar. His sister is Mariel. We fell out of touch a long time ago. I'm finding out about Noongar people and history now, in an effort to try and understand what their life was like. I think Harold and Mariel came from the Reserve. Mary Thomson took them in from their mother, round 1965, I think...

McCabeandco said...

Wow, it is a small world. I don't know the Millar you mention but I know the family. I used to tutor Russell Miller at Curtin Uni and heard a lot about the Millers of Mt Barker. I also went to school with Murray and knew Tim Hunter. An Anthony Galloway was also in my year. My best friend in those days playing upon that hill of Mt Melville and spying on the 'natives' who lived close by was a young neighbour named Frankie Moore... I lost contact but the memories live on... Good memories. In recent years I had the good fortune to meet and work with Bob Howard. We recorded Alma Woods together and I think the tapes are now with the Albany Historic Society...and Middleton Beach...we lived on that beach, collected many a shell of all colours in the weed and in the rocks near that jetty...

ciaranl said...

Tim, my brother Ronan was in Tim and Anthony's year. He is still best friends with Ediie Lesniak. I don't remember Franki Moore, sounds like he could have been Irish? We lived at the bottom of Mount Clarence on the Middleton Beach side,then moved behind Lake Seppings. It's amazing, but I only found out about the Reserve earlier this year. Extraordinary. Anyhow, you have great work here and with your other blogs. I wish you well. Ciaran

The Sawicki Family - travelling Australia in a camper trailer said...

Your words carry me into the dreamtime. Thankyou :)

McCabeandco said...

Thank you Jane, your words and thoughts are very kind!